Dry shampoo - Love it or hate it?

Posted by Aislinn on
I had heard of dry shampoo for a few years before it was finally made available to the public (by "available", I mean in Walmart for under 10$). I had searched for years in my normal drug stores to find it because the idea is brilliant: a foam you can rub in your hair on those days you don't have time to shower, to take the greasies away.

Since having children, I am admittedly lazy with my looks. Don't get me wrong, I go out daily with a full face of make-up and I don't wear track suits to work, but I have a LOT of hair. It is very long, thick and (thanks to having children) wavy. Until I had children I would spend an hour blow-drying my hair straight (takes so long because my hair is porous and takes ages to dry).

Now, however, my hair routine is literally to leave the house with mousse in my hair to guide the waves into a tamed head of hair. It looks ok, but not nearly as groomed as I used to be. I just don't have that kind of time. I wake at 5am as it is - I can't spend that time blow-drying!

In addition to the lack of time I take on my hair, I also can't be bothered to shampoo daily. I am lucky - I have hair that can go 2 or 3 days between washes, and often looks better the longer I go. There are days that I can't get to the hair washing and my hair is past that peak 3 day window. So dry shampoo seemed to be the answer!!!!

I have only tried one (I haven't gotten through this whole bottle, because I seem to forget I own it. However, I had to use it this week which made me realize I should review it)

Tresemme Fresh Start Waterless Foam Shampoo:

It claims: Give curls moisture and shine in-between washes with this unique foam shampoo. Reduces oil and odor without water, leaving hair feeling soft and clean.

My take:
How to use: It is a foam for curly hair that you distribute throughout the hair and then use a towel to "soak up" the excess oil (how oily do they think my hair is?!?!).

First, I will say that the smell is very pleasant and makes me feel like my hair really is clean. It is a witch hazel smell, which I quite enjoy. However, I hate how it works. It doesn't really seem to do anything for my hair. Since I have curly hair, after using the product, it still has no body and the curls are flat and lifeless.

This may make a difference, but since my hair is curly, I wear mousse or gel in it daily. So the dry shampoo isn't doing anything about the remaining gel/mousse in my hair! If I used no product, it may work a bit better.

I will keep the bottle in my bathroom for those lazy days, but to be honest I probably won't buy it again. I feel a bit let down because the concept is brilliant. Perhaps I need to shell out more money for a decent dry shampoo.

I would be interested to see how people with straight hair do with the spray made for straight hair. I feel straight hair would be a better test because it would show greasy hair more than curly hair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment